University Lutheran Church is a family of faith, called by the Holy Spirit to be one ministry serving both our community and university. The Spirit calls us to make known, by word and deed, the story of God’s love in Jesus. Our worship together empowers us to grow as disciples as we receive, celebrate, and share God’s gifts with all of God’s creation and created ones.
University Lutheran Church (UniLu) belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) and springs from the heritage of a South Carolina town and university known by the common namesake of Clemson. Established in 1950 on 111 Sloan Street—and preceded by decades of campus worship services for the military cadets of then Clemson College—the University Lutheran Church of today is a unified community of local individuals, families, and university students. The first church building was built in 1950 and is now our Fellowship Hall. The groundbreaking of our present sanctuary took place in December 1988 and an expanded gathering space was completed in 2013.
ELCA Mission, Vision, & Values
Together in Jesus Christ we are freed by grace to live faithfully, witness boldly and serve joyfully.
A world experiencing the difference God’s grace and love in Christ makes for all people and creation.
Our values are grounded in faith, in our biblical and Lutheran confessional sources and our love of God and neighbor. They speak to the way this church lives and practices our faith, and they will guide how we journey forward in Christ as church together.